Wednesday, December 13, 2017

One of the things that Susan wanted me to do was publish a book she wrote called Make The Light Out, or What My Pennsylvania Dutch Mother Taught Me About Daily Living.  I typed the book onto word 2010 along with photos and an introduction by myself.  I've done some research about the procedure and the sources state that I should find an editor before I try to self publish.  I don't have any experience with the process, so am doing some networking.  Does anyone have any leads on editing an e book?  Below is the introduction to her book.


Introduction

I grew up in a Pennsylvania Dutch home in a small coal mining town in the 50’s.  My mother spoke the Pa Dutch dialect to almost everyone else except me.  I am convinced to this day she did it for the sole purpose of being able to talk about me in plain sight without me never knowing about it.

My mother was a small, robust lady with auburn hair and the determination of 20 men.  She grew up in impoverished circumstances in the 20’s after her mother died when she was only a few years old.  Her father gave her to relatives to raise and she spent most of her childhood working around the house to pay for her food and lodging.  She only went to
the 8th grade in school but was a voracious reader.  She loved to sew, quilt, and garden, all self taught interests.

She had the ability to tough it through difficult situations and made the best of bad times.  Her ability to make everything happy and beautiful affected her children and everyone who knew her.  My father died when I was 9 of an unexpected illness.  Though she was devastated, she pushed on into the future fearlessly.  Although she and I had to make it on our own I never once felt worried or scared about our future.  Our home remained the beautiful, simple stable refuge it had always been.
There are so many things that I learned from this wonderful woman that I could not begin to compile them all in one place.  In this book is a short list of those things I learned from her that are rapidly becoming lost principles in modern society.  Many of these simple ideas can be used to transform a home onto a wonderful refuge and make life simpler and more enjoyable for the whole family.
As I carry these lessons with me in my heart and they have made my life a joy, I hope future generations will take these ideas to make their lives and the world a better place and eventually better communities.  After all change starts with little things.

Thanks for reading and don’t forget to outen the lights before you go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment